The Free ski season is coming to an end but for North athlete and next big thing in freeskiing Emil Granbom life is just about to happen. On Friday he won the Swedish Nationals in Freeski at Kläppen national arena and things seem to be happening real fast.
– I couldn’t be happier. I am extremely satisfied about my skiing, says the happy gold medalist.
With a perfect double cork 1620 Emil scored 94 out of a 100 which brought him the gold at Swedish Nationals on Thursday.
– I’ve never been able to land it perfectly but yesterday I really nailed it, he says. I suppose that when it really matters, you get it right.
Emil’s season has been intense and come spring, he is in search for other activities.
– I have to admit that it is not without anxiety that I see the snow disappearing. Hopefully I will be able to got to Norway and chase some glaciers.
Traveling the international skiing scene
Emil started skiing as a toddler and being able to do what he loves the most is something he cherish. Not even out of elementary school Emil is already traveling the world skiing and experiencing what he calls “total freedom”.
– Not many kids are able to do what I do. I’ve been skiing since I was two years old. I started off with my parents placing me on their back while they where skiing. When I was around 11 years old it dawned on me that this was something I needed to continue doing. So I just went for it and I’m grateful for the opportunity.
Emil likes to coach younger kids and wishes that he will be able to continue doing so.
– I love training kids and teaching them new things. It is very inspiring.
Practice makes perfect
After nationals Emil will be getting some well deserved rest and head back to his studies. That said, one can not really hold him back.
– I’m looking forward to travel and shoot cool videos with friends. Hopefully I’ll be able to practice new tricks. I mean, this is what I love to do. This lifestyle isn’t for everyone – but for me it’s total freedom.
If you where to send some encouraging words to your fans, what would it be?
– If this is what you want to do, practice. Start off on the trampoline practicing tricks. It’s a great way to really get the air-feel. When you feel comfortable in the air, move on to the slopes.